Saturday, April 10, 2010

Barker Dam - Joshua Tree National Park


Claret Cup Cactus (Echinocereus triglochidiatus)
Claret cups are a species of hedgehog cactus. Gardeners and landscapers sing its praises, using it as a hummingbird plant.


Old Man Prickly Pear Cactus - Opuntie erinacea
I love this...


I see M I C K E Y...


Ready set go...


I see another heart... shape.





Beauty of nature is everywhere...


I could wonder here for hours...


I love spring time at Joshua Tree National Park.


The dam... North side of Barker Dam.


The dam constructed by early cattlemen, including C.O. Barker in 1900.
The lowest nine feet of the dam, the original portion, was constructed of concrete surfaced with stone on the downstream side. The height of dam was raised an additional six feet of concrete in 1949-1950.


The inscription reads: "Big Horn Dam Built by Willis Keys, W.F. Keyes, Phyllis M. Keys, 1949-1950.


An old concrete watering trough.


Old wood feed trough.


Next time we are here... I will definitely climb these stairs and explore...


Beaver tail cactus.


Barker Dam, also known as the Big Horn Dam








Joshua Trees


Pondering...

*More pictures coming soon from Joshua Tree National Park.

No comments: